Tuesday, February 26, 2013

london: day 1


 After daydreaming, baking cupcakes for my boys, getting a polka-dot manicure, buying my first iPhone and packing my bags, I embarked on Valentine's Day for a whirlwind of an adventure to London and Paris, accompanied by my oldest sister Betsy. The trip was brief but wonderful and planned around the launch of my book and having a place to stay in London while dear friends are living there temporarily.
It was fun to document and share my travels on my Tinkered Treasures page on Facebook. Like any good blogger, I was sure to take plenty of photos to capture little slices of life. We were in London for the first three days and felt right at home in my friends' flat perched above shops on a lively main street lined with cafes, bakeries, pubs and fresh flower stands.
After an overnight (sleepless) flight, Betsy and I landed (Feb. 15), rode to the flat, dropped off our luggage, changed clothes and took a taxi directly to the offices of my publisher, CICO Books. Mark and Lauren who handle publicity for the U.K. treated us to a delicious first meal in London at the traditional and cozy Vats, followed by introducing me around the office. It was an absolute treat to put faces to all of the friendly names with whom I've been corresponding. I was also able to meet my publisher, Cindy Richards, to whom I am so thankful for publishing my book.

Mark and Lauren suggested that Betsy and I explore Covent Garden next so we took a quick taxi ride and arrived at ... GASP along with me ... CATH KIDSTON!

Yes, I did buy things which perhaps I'll save for another post but what I wanted was the small things that might not even be listed online or for that you couldn't rationale paying international shipping. I purchased items like an eraser, ribbon, pins. And a case for my new phone.


That evening, I enjoyed bangers and mash (or sausage and mashed potatoes) at The Flask Tavern. Yum!

London: Where EVERYTHING is adorable!
Wow! Well, since Day 1 is already a lengthy post, I think I'll write individual posts for each travel day. I have included links to places mentioned so if you're ever in London, you'll have my recommendations!

No sleep? No problem. We're in London!
If you would have told me one year ago that I would be visiting London and Paris I may not have believed you. (I almost still don't!) It all begins with an idea ...

Stay tuned for Day 2!

xo
elyse





19 comments:

Lulume said...

yay! i look forward to the next installment.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Oh I'm so glad you included so much of your day! Cath Kidston!!! Can't wait to hear more!

stefanie said...

its soooo exciting!....I bet you spent alot of time in your favorite store!!!! love the pictures!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you- for it all! ♥

Lorrie said...

What a great start to your trip! Looking forward to the next installment.

Unknown said...

I'm excited to see the eraser! Sometimes it really IS the littlest things that make for a happy day:)

debi said...

This is a great post Elyse! I love that you're going to share your whole trip with us. Beautiful pics. Hugs, Debi

Sarah said...

Wow how exciting! Can't wait to see more!

Anonymous said...

Elyse so exciting! England- Paris- oh my a dream come true for sure!!

bee blessed
mary

Willow's Quiet Corner said...

Wow, Elyse! How lovely and exciting for you! I know you will enjoy and savor every moment! Can't wait to see and hear about the rest of your trip!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh what fun, I can't wait to hear more!!! Cath Kidston...Oh my!

Carol

Dianne said...

Fantastic, love sharing your trip, have a ball,I love going to England so do enjoy and can't wait for the next installment..

Unknown said...

I am loving just reading about your little adventure through your awesome progress....proud of you girl!!
Daisy~

Sandi said...

How fun Elyse!! So happy for you. Looks like some amazing places!!
Blessings~

patchworkandlace said...

Looks like you had a fab time on your travells xxx

Jen Kershner said...

Oh my gosh! I'm truly excited that you got to have this experience. I'm also seriously missing Paris and London!

SLR said...

blog catching up today!
so happy for you that you went to Paris and London...many gasps and swoons I see!! oh to be in CK...
congrats on the book signings too!!

Katy Noelle said...

Elyse... I don't quite understand it.... perhaps, I'm tired, at the moment, too... I'm not quite sure but... the last picture of you and your sister has made me cry! Your both just beautiful! I'm so happy for you and I love your loving, gasping for joy heart!

Alright! ahem. ...and, that pile of books looks beyond delicious! and, a whole store full of Cath.... phew! I've enlarged your photos and followed your links - very fun and not enough! I'm off to read the next post!!! (I've been stashing these away for the right, quiet moment! =])

xxo

Gabriela Delworth - Instructional Designer said...

Hello Elyse,

What amazing experience! Just catching up with blogs...


Gabriela